Texas Writers Journal Competition We are Always Accepting Submissions. Deadline for our next publication - 11/30/15.
We take a unique approach to our writing competition utilizing a two step process which involves panels of readers and subscriber feedback. (Rules, guidelines and submission instructions listed below.)
Every quarter submissions will be reviewed by reading panelist located throughout Texas. The panel is comprised of avid readers that will be rating each piece on their own merit based on its reader appeal. These panelists will be reading works within their area of interest which makes them part of the writer's target audience. Works that are rated the highest will be selected as finalist and published in our quarterly magazine. There will be awards for the highest rating piece in each major genre (fiction, non-fiction, poetry) each quarter.
Subscribers to our quarterly magazine will have an opportunity to read the works from our finalist. After reading they can submit ratings and comments through our website. They are allowed one rating submission for each finalist. At the end of each quarter, these ratings and comments are collected and utilized in determining winners of our annual Texas Writers Journal Competition. All winners both quarterly and annually will be recognized and receive awards during a ceremony at our annual Texas Indie Writers Festival.
2015 - Awards
Annual Awards Grand Prize (Reader's Choice Award): $300 Second Place (Reader's Choice Award): $200 Third Place (Reader's Choice Award): $100 Quarterly Awards Quarter I Editor's Choice Award: $25 Quarter I Reviewer's Choice Award: $25 Quarter II Editor's Choice Award: $25 Quarter II Reviewer's Choice Award: $25 Quarter III Editor's Choice Award: $25 Quarter II Reviewer's Choice Award: $25 Quarter IV Editor's Choice Award: $25 Quarter IV Reviewer's Choice Award: $25 All Finalists Published in TWJ Quarterly Magazine
Submissions accepted year round. Finalists and winners selected quarterly so don't wait.
Rules & Guidelines
1. The competition is open to Texas residents only (current Texas address) for original works of 5,000 words or less (text only, title not included).
2. The competition is open to all ages however there is no age category.
3. Entry fees - No entry fees for 2015 competition.
4. All entries must be in English, original and unpublished. If a submission is accepted and/or published elsewhere, it must be withdrawn from the contest immediately. The entry fee will not be refunded. Texas Writers Journal reserves first time publisher's rights on all pieces selected as finalists to be published in our quarterly publicatoin with winners republished in our annual. All rights revert back to author after winners are announced with one exception, any work published in the Texas Writers Journal will require a reference of previous publication in Texas Writers Journal in future publishings. If a submission has been previously published or posted online they will be disqualified. (Note: If your story has been posted on a personal blog, social media site or anywhere online it is considered published.)
5. Multiple entries are welcome, though a maximum of two per author will appear in each issue. If you have more than two that are accepted, they will appear in the following quarter's issues.
6. Finalists are selected quarterly and their works will appear in our quarterly publication. Winners of our annual competition will be announced at our annual festival and award ceremony as well as appear in our annual publication.
7. Entries must be typed, double spaced, one side only, 1” margins. Please use either Courier or Times Roman type fonts, 12 point. Paper submissions should be on standard 8½” by 11” white paper. Electronic submissions should be in MSWord or PDF format.
8. All submissions require a cover sheet containing only and all of the following:
the name of the piece
genre (fiction, non-fiction, poetry)
sub-genre (horror, article, free verse, etc...)
the author’s name
The author's name should not appear anywhere except on the cover sheet. Each page of the piece should have the work's title and page number.
9. There will be no refund for disqualified submissions.
10. Rules and guidelines are always available here and upon request. By submitting works, all entrants agree to these terms.
Deadlines: Finalists are selected daily by our Reader Panels. Deadlines to be considered for each quarter are November 30th, Feb 28th, May 31st and Aug 31st. Quarterly winners are selected from published finalists.
Deadline for the overall annual contest will be Aug 31st. Winners are selected from the published finalist after receiving reader feedback and ratings. Annual winners are announced third Saturday of February.